We place a very strong focus on learning behaviours and we have particular qualities (our 8Cs) that underpin our whole curriculum, from nursery to year 6. These are:
- Confidence – being able to take risks in our learning and tackle hard challenges
- Curiosity – wanting to know about the world around us and always asking questions
- Creativity – turning new and imaginative ideas into reality
- Collaboration – working with others to achieve goals and overcome challenges
- Communication – being able to express ourselves freely and respectfully
- Craftsmanship – trying as hard as we can to produce the best possible outcome
- Commitment – being resilient learners and never giving up
- Critical Thinking – having the ability to solve problems and think independently
We believe that if children have these 8 skills, they can learn anything.
Teachers plan the explicit teaching of these skills into their lessons so that there is progression across the year groups and these behaviours become an embedded part of our children’s education. As well as being part of our regular classroom practice, our 8Cs are practised in our creative play areas – both as part of lessons and independently at play time. This area contains spaces and resources for creative play and problem solving – a mud kitchen, play houses, small play sand pit, dolls’ house, puzzles, pipes, brackets and balls for engineering challenges, and many more opportunities to develop and explore the 8Cs.